Heat Recovery Ventilator

heat recovery ventilator

heat recovery ventilator
Studio 804 Project Earns Passive House Certification
Studio 804, the internationally acclaimed design-build studio at the University of Kansas, has achieved Passive House Certification for its Prescott Passive House in Kansas City, Kan.
Questions about updating the HVAC!?

If Don K see this message,then please e-mail me at VIPFMAD@gmail.com since I can’t get a hold of you on Yahoo Answers,but can’t because of your private settings…

1.I was wondering should I get the Infinity Air Purifier,since my mom and me has allergies?!

2.When should I get UV lamps or what would be a situation in which I would need them?

3.Why don’t I need a dehumidifier if I already have an air conditioner,I know that an air conditioner function like a dehumidifier. I bet that the dehumidifier could offer something that the air conditioner cannot offer,but what is that?

4.Why shouldn’t I get an Energy Recovery Ventilator and a Heat Recovery Ventilator,I think two is better than one?!

6.What questions should I ask the contractor,since I might not have ask them yet?

7.How can I tell if the contractor is right for the job? Since,some of the contractors try to make me sounds like a clown!

Let me do my best to answer all your question. If any person has allergies I would always recommend getting a air purifier. Any type and brand is better than NOT having one. A UV lamp is used to help kill viruses, fungus,(mold, mildew) It also kills air born allergens in the air. If a person has severe allergies it is always best to get both a Air Purifier as well as a UV lamp. The only issue with a UV lamp is that they work best if the duct work is insulated on the outside and NOT the inside. The light needs to be reflected off the shinny metal. If it is insulated on the inside it will absorb the light and make it less effective. (almost 60% less effective)
Needing a De-Humidifier all depends on what part of the country you live in. For example in Missouri the humidity is so high that you will need to get rid of the excessive humidity so the A/C will do its job much better. An Air Conditioner will not be able to start cooling until it gets rid of the excessive moisture. If you live in a fairly dry area then getting a De-Humidifier is really not needed. ( Arizona for example).
An ERV (energy recovery ventilator) and a HRV ( Heat recovery ventilator) Can be used in SOME residential applications. They are used to recover the heat loss from the dryer, the bath vents, and In some cases the flue pipes of certain heating appliances. It takes the “latent heat” from them and cleans it, recirculates it back in the home. Most home’s do not produce enough energy loss to warrant spending the money for one. An ERV and A HRV for residential use are pretty much the same thing. They just do it in different ways. With out seeing your home and with out knowing your needs I cannot say if your home needs one or both of them.
Some questions you need to ask. First off, depending on the age of the home I recommend getting a Heat loss Heat Gain calculation done on the home. Make sure they let you see it. Some state make it mandatory. Ask if the bid includes ALL permits required for the job. Ask what efficiency you are getting on the A/C as well as the furnace. If you are trying to get the $1,500 rebate from the government MAKE sure your equipment qualifies for it. I have seen and heard of people buying equipment that was told will get them the money, but it turns out it does NOT qualify.
I would 100% recommend getting at least an Air purifier in your home if You have allergies. I would recommend getting a UV light if you are prone to Not only allergies but if you are prone to getting sick, Colds, Flue)
If your contractor installs one make sure you find out if the insulation is on the outside of the duct. Don’t waist your money if it is insulated on the inside. Now I’m only talking about the return. NOT the supply.
I hope this information helps you. Good luck to you.

Modular Heat Recovery Ventilators